Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Hey, I'm soul.


For those that don't know me, I'm 'soul', I'm a current player of "ArmA 3" with it's various multi-player missions and mods. My in-game-nick is usually 'soul[kobk]' or a variant of it.

KOBK - Kill Or Be Killed
Within Arma 3 I started off playing "BR" aka "Battle Royale", which is a last-man-standing mod... but due to the annoying game bugs (specific to how it's coded/scripted), I stopped playing.

During my "BR" gaming, I wrote/compiled an "Auto Hot Key" mute/volume script for Arma 3, so that players and streamers (twitch.tv) are able to mute/un-mute and adjust volume with the press of a key. You can find the latest/last version here on my blog.

It also seems that the staff/developers of BR don't like suggestions about enhancing the game play for all involved, since I was banned from their forum for 'attacking others' *rolls eyes*. If you care to have a read... you can view the forum threads here and here (links updated due to the forums being removed). The basic point I was trying to get across within my suggestions was... "if the frustration outweighs the enjoyment of the game/mod... people will stop playing it and supporting it". (stahp causing drama!).

Since I stopped playing "Arma 3 Battle Royale", I thought to myself "how hard would it be to code my own version?"... and began digging.

Over the last few months I have read, learned, read, learned, debugged and fixed code within Arma 3, and now have coded roughly 50% of what "Battle Royale" is... minus all the annoying and frustrating parts... and somewhat better.

Better as in...

A proper and less frustrating parachuting experience to the ground, you won't get dragged across terrain when you land, as the parachute instantly releases upon touchdown of the ground/surface you are landing on. Yes you can land ON buildings, ON rock formations, ON hillsides with ease. The game mode should be less about parachute mastery and more about PvP survival... hence the "last man standing" game mode.

No bugged loot (below ground level) or floating loot (floating 3 meters up in the air) or disappearing loot (crap... where did that go? *scratches head*) which is unobtainable.

No beached boats... yes that's right, I actually coded my own version, the way it should be.. and spawned boats IN the water, not on shore (my boat spawn script calculates depth of water before placing a vessel).

A proper "bombing run" scenario, that jet planes do a low fly over as a warning and then loop back to drop bombs (all with warning markers on map). Whether there's one zone or ten zones on map at the same time, they all execute flawlessly.

A proper "care package" scenario, that a cargo plane delivers packages at random, in a proper military crate, and all the item/weapon contents is kept INSIDE the crate. Custom colored smoke also add to the immersion and effect from when it is dropped from the cargo plane (not just red smoke grenades).

... and many more features including decent wreck sites scattered around the map with custom dead soldier item/weapon loud-outs, drivable civilian vehicles scattered around the map and extra manually placed buildings/towns (especially in the map Stratis, where some sections of the map are scarce for loot spawn).

Over the next few weeks/months, I will continue learn/code/script my own Arma 3 "last man standing" mission/mod, but thus far, everything works 100%, no bugs, no errors, just enjoyment.

I will begin to post screen shots as well as videos of my progress on my youtube channel for all to see.

Once everything is coded, I will Alpha test with help from those that support me in the Arma 3 and Twitch community and those who are eager to just play, suggest and help out in the debugging process (although most debug is already done).

Whatever the case, this blog is the place to keep informed on the progress.

-soul.