Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Battlefield Heroes, The War Is Over

I had played this game since "closed beta" (2009), and now after 6 years... the war is over. EA/EAsy are closing down the game.

From the beginnings the game style had potential, it was great fun, the game mechanics were enjoyable, and it was a unique third person cartoon style shooter. Weapon load-outs, abilities, taunt emotes, custom clothing/skins/etc... it was rather unique.... somewhat clunky, but unique.

Battlefield Heroes - War Is Over Heroes
I started off with three National and three Royal characters, one in each class, gunner, soldier and commando, and got every single one of them to max level (level 30).

I found each class as enjoyable as the next, and pretty much mastered them all. It was fun slaying opponents with a machine gun and rocket jumping over buildings as a gunner, lighting opponents on fire or blast striking as a soldier, and running around invisible and head shot sniping as a commando.

Along the way there were game-breaking game bugs, servers not being updated, a huge influx of hackers and pay-to-win update after update after update... and the game bugs still existed (as did the hackers).

Once the fun got sucked out of the game and EAsy neglected the game, a lot of players from the closed beta... up and left. I was one of them.

For what "BFH" was, it was greatly enjoyable for the most part, and it is a shame that it is now closing (as their other "free-to-play" titles are).

After months of little to no updates back in 2014, I gave the game until the end of 2014 before it was gone/kaput/dead. I posted on the "BFH" forums to show my concern and opinions about the game time and time again, but most was ignored... and quite a lot of the player base refused to believe that the "game was dying".

So now at this time... it's kind of a "told-you-so" scenario to those that didn't want to listen, even though the game will be playable until July 2015... I was correct in my prediction of them closing it all down "soon".

I met quite a lot of decent players across the Oceanic and Asia community, I played in a squad/team, played with/against other squads/teams... and it was enjoyable (apart from my ISP latency issues).

Greets go out to tN (Team Nads), db (dubbrothers), nSg (no sh*t gaming), all the independent players that were in game with me and/or use to rage against me and/or accuse me of hacking over and over and over. :D BOOM HEADSHOT!

All-in-all, it was fun while it lasted (6 years)... and I hope to see a similar (non pay-to-win) version of BFH in the future (hopefully not made by EA or EAsy).

-soul.