Sunday, April 12, 2015

Arma 3, "Last Man Standing" Mission/Mod Creation

As some may already know from chatter around the Arma 3 and Twitch community, that I am currently creating my own "Last Man Standing" game mode for Arma 3.


Arma 3 Editor
Why you may ask? Well the short answer is, the game mode which is currently available for Arma 3 gamers to play is very clunky... and yes I'm talking about "Battle Royale".

In the beginning "Battle Royale" was pretty much all I played (version 0.4.0) on Arma 3, I quite enjoyed the game mode and the play style. Since each update, the game has become more unplayable due to bad scripting/coding, which caused desync issues, game bugs and overall frustrating game play... which therefore, the frustrations/annoyances outweighed the enjoyable gaming experience, so I stopped playing.

Having a scripting background, I have found it fairly easy to adapt to the Arma 3 scripting/coding structure... I have dug around in the code, wrote my own code, tested, debugged, tested more, etc etc... and have now scripted quite a chunk of my game mode.

So far I have successfully scripted, tested and debugged the following parts of my game mode...

+ Parachute Fix (a custom parachute script which allows the parachute to instantly release upon touching the terrain/object beneath your feet).

+ Loot Spawn (with random building damage, random open doors,
dynamic and static loot spawn positions, custom loot table).

+ Land Vehicle Spawn (vehicles spawn at random positions around the map on/beside roads).

+ Water Vehicle Spawn (boats spawn at random positions around the map shoreline at a minimum water depth to prevent beached boats).

+ Wreck Vehicle Spawn (wrecked vehicles/road blocks spawn at random positions around the map with deceased soldiers with custom clothing/weapon/item load-outs).

+ Bombing Run (Jet planes fly over the map as a warning, then loop back and drop bombs).

+ Care Package Run (A cargo plane flies over the map and drops a random military care package crate. Custom colored smoke will show you where the package will or has landed).

There is a lot more for me to learn, understand and script, as it has been a learning curve for me, but there is progress on my game mode each and every week.

I am doing this currently as a solo project, so it may take some time to implement to an alpha stage.

I have a lot of ideas on the game mode structure, timing and sub routines to put into script/code... but am excited in seeing my hard work come to fruition.

For those that have given their support and continue to give their support, I thank you.

I will post up more blog updates with screen shots and video demonstrations on progress and where the game mode is headed.

View my blog regularly to keep informed.

-soul.